Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Prayer Request and Update on Raney




July 22, 2008



Hello Everyone,

Just to let you know that I got back home today from my trip to Arkansas to see Raney.
This will be pretty short because I have to go to bed since I have to work tonight. I got down on Saturday afternoon, around 1:30pm. I started from home around 3:30am. I went to Janie's first and then we left right away after I gave everyone hugs and went potty. We got to Hospice House in Mountain Home around 5pm. Shirley was already there from Fort Smith. Raney was awake, but was a little confused. He knew us though. Come to find out, he had refused to take his full dosage of pain medicine because he knew we were on our way and wanted to be able to see us and talk to us some. (He was so weak that it was hard for him to really have a conversation with us....just a few words at a time, then he would fall asleep). Bless his heart, even though we know that this was the last time we will actually see him alive, he managed to give us some precious memories, very cute and just RANEY. Every once in a while, when we would look at him, he would just break into the most precious grin. It was something that no one could describe. He just had that little angelic/mischievious grin that was so precious to us. One time Jean was feeding him and talking to him and trying to talk to us too. She had given him a bite and then put more food on the fork and asked him if he wanted another bite. She almost put it in his mouth and he gave her the cutest look and said "Can I finish chewing this first?" You would have to have been there to appreciate it. He was so cute. We all burst out laughing. Shirley, Janie, and I all got our chance to talk to him and tell him by and that we love him. He knew us and was able to tell us he loved us back. I am so glad I got to go over the weekend instead of waiting.

I called Jean so they would know that I made it home safe and sound. I asked her how he was doing today and she said he was alot worse. He had a bad night and today he is not responding. He isn't in a coma, really, because he will kind of rouse around a little when they turn him or move him in some way, but he isn't talking to anyone, not even Jean, he is going right back to sleep. The doctor took him off some of his meds because they aren't doing anything for him. But he said he is not in pain. (So thankful for that) Janie called Hospice today and they called her back after getting the report from the doctor. She asked how much longer he has. Yesterday, the doctor said 2 to 4 weeks. Today he says 2 to 3 days. Of course, he also says it could be less or more, only God knows that for sure. They have moved him to a room directly across from the nurse's station so they will be able to get to him more quickly or to help Jean and be there with her should anything happen with nobody with her.

All of the people at the Hospice House have got to be Angels. They are so sweet and so caring, not only to Raney, but to Jean and to all of us. Before I left yesterday, the Social Worker gave me a hug and told me to be very careful going down the hill and curves and then gave me a kiss. Shirley left when I did and she did the same with her and then gave us a "group hug". The nurses were wonderful. I never once saw a frown, a look of aggravation about ANYTHING, no matter what they were doing and had to go help someone. They were funny and made Raney laugh. Jean said everyone of them has at one time or another come and put their arms around her and prayed with her about Raney......a genuine concern and love for people who are hurting.

I will try to let you all know when the inevitable happens, but I might have to leave so quickly that I won't be able to get to everyone. If that happens, please forgive me. I will be sure to get the message out when I get back home.

Steve (Jean's son) and his girlfriend came in Sunday afternoon for probably a week at least. Don and Patsy (Jeans son and daugher-in-law) are either coming on Wednesday or leaving from Dixon on Wednesday. So they will be with her to help her. I am so glad of that. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I consider myself fortunate that I got 2 days of leave of absence to go down this weekend. I will have 3 days of funeral leave when Raney passes and I am hoping I can get another day or 2 of leave.

Please continue to pray for Raney and Jean and for the rest of us that God will give us the strength we need to make it through this. We would still take a miracle, but if God is wanting to take him home now, we just ask that He take him with as little pain and suffering as possible and to be with us to bear the loss of our sweet brother.

Love,
Ginger







July 21, 2008

Please continue to pray for Raney and his family. I received the following note from a member of his family: "It seems the Lord has decided to take Raney home. I ask for prayers that peace may be with the family and though we are sad, the angels are excited - a brother is coming home. Rest and a complete healing, a new body like Christ's and a spirit that soars free from earthly bonds. I have long felt that weare born into our mother's arms and die into our Father's - His hands are so much stronger and His love divine. Thank you for your prayers. They are most appreciated."

"The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me — the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me. And the prize is not just for me, but for all who eagerly look forward to His return." II Timothy 4:7-8









July 6, 2008
Update from Ginger on Raney
I got home last night around 11:15 pm. It was such a short trip that I am so tired, but it was worth it. Shirley and Scott(nephew) came from Fort Smith and of course, Janie and Joby were there from Jonesboro. I spend the night with Janie on Thursday night and then we went over Friday morning to Raney & Jean's. I stayed Friday night with them since I would be leaving on Saturday. We all had a good visit Friday. Shirley had to leave Friday late afternoon because she had to work Saturday. Janie and Joby went home after Shirley left. Raney, Jean, and I had a good visit, too, after all were gone. Raney gets so tired that he sleeps most of the time. But Jean and I had some good time together just talking about everything. I am so glad Raney has her. She is soooooo good to him. It was so sad to leave yesterday because it may be the last time I see him alive. I tried to hold back the tears, but I couldn't help to let a few drop. Raney said "No tears, I'll be ok." I told him I knew God was with him, so I knew he would be OK. It was still sad because I can't imagine Raney not being there to talk to and visit. But like I told Jean, God will give us all the strength we need, because I thought I couldn't bear to lose Daddy, Mother, Lora, or Sid, but although I miss them, God has given me the strength to go on and I wouldnt' call them back if I could...not when I know they will never have to suffer in any way again. Raney is losing alot of weight, but it doesn't show quite so bad when he is sitting in his chair. His little fingers are so thin and he shakes alot........from being so weak I suppose. That is hard for me to watch, because he has always been so strong.Well, I better go. I have to do laundry after being gone all weekend. I have to work tonight, so I still have to get a nap.Love,Ginger



Please continue praying for Raney and his family. He continues to lose weight and is growing weaker. He is at home and is cared for by his loving wife.
"Gracious Lord, when we come to the end of ourselves, we come to the beginning of You. When we have exhausted our resources, You will meet each need out of Your glorious resources. Raney and his family find strength in the knowledge that You are preparing a place for those who love and trust You, a place where there is no more pain, no more tears and no more sorrow. Hold them in the hollow of Your hand and cover them with Your grace and peace. In Your name we pray, Amen."
>>> Linda Davenport 6/23/2008 9:04 AM >>>I just received an update from one of our members for her cousin for whom we have been praying. Raney is undergoing chemotherapy and has been hospitalized with complications (one of his arms was swollen twice its normal size). The doctor suspects it is a blood clot. He has lost a lot of weight and with the complications, the doctor may stop the chemotherapy. Lord, we praise You for Your great mercy. You are our refuge in times of great distress and our hope in every situation. We stand together in faith as we lift Raney and his family before you today. May they hear Your whisper of love and reassurance, and may they rest in peace as only You can give. Bless them and keep them, in Your precious name. Amen >>> Linda Davenport 5/30/2008 3:34 PM >>>Please continue to pray for Raney who is being treated for cancer of the liver and pancreas. "I was relieved to hear the tumors are growing smaller. There was no change in the pancreas, but there also was no sign of it spreading. I claim it's due to everyone's prayers. I praise and thank God for every measure of blessing He bestows. My prayers are for the prayers warriors. We have no need to worry, for we can change nothing. They will give him a 10 day rest, then start with chemo again. Thank you so much for your prayers."O God, our help in ages past, You are the one true source of Hope, our Refuge, our Deliverer. Only in You will our souls find rest, for "the one the Lord loves rests between His shoulders." Grant us faith and courage to entrust all things to You. We unite our hearts in prayer for this request, seeking Your blessed provision and healing, according to Your divine purpose. In Jesus' name, Amen."When we have nothing left but God, we become aware that God is enough." ~ Agnes Royden 1876 ~>>>Linda Davenport 5/5/2008 3:42 PM>>>One of our members has sent the following request. Please add Raney to your prayer lists:...............Dear Linda, Please ask the prayer warriors to pray for my cousin Raney (liver and pancreatic cancer). We know Jesus came to us as a healer. Our belief in Him is steadfast and we yearn to touch the hem of His garment and know He will heal us. Please ask for strength for endurance, rest from the pain, and peace in our souls that Christ is our Lord & Redeemer. Love, CatePhilippians 1:21~24 "For to me, living means opportunities for Christ and dying---well, that's better yet! But if living will give me more opportunities to win people to Christ, then I really don't know which is better, to live or die! Sometimes I want to live and at other times I don't, for I long to go and be with Christ. How much happier for ME than being here! But the fact is that I can be of more help to YOU by staying."These words by St. Paul help me realize there is a perfect life waiting, but our work here is in accordance with God's will. Perhaps my cousin's sufferings here will give him a witness and testimony for other cancer patients. Where there is life there is hope! Our Lord is a healer!! Dear Heavenly Father, as Raney's family gather and support a loved one so dear, hearts are broken by the suffering and pain he endures to get well, to live life with his dear wife, Jean. We lift them up to you Father, to bless and bestow your tender mercies. We are your children Lord. Let us offer our sufferings and pain along with your Son Jesus' suffering and pain for us. We know to continue to thank You and praise You in our circumstances, good and bad, this is your will in Christ Jesus concerning us. To pray without ceasing. We know, Father, that you are faithful. You send us the Comforter to live within our heart, soul and mind. We praise and thank you for Raney, the loving family you have provided him. We ask, that you give wisdom to hi caretakers and surround them with faith, hope and love. In Jesus name we ask and pray. AmenHello Everyone,

Janie called me this noon to tell me that she had just talked to Jean. Jean took Raney to the doctor this morning. I am not sure if it was for blood check or exactly what. But they are taking him off the cumadin (blood thinner) because his blood was 800 and should be 200. (800 is dangerously high) They said any little nick could cause severe bleeding. Of course, now, the blood clots will be getting worse. She said they told her to be very careful that he does not fall. He is very weak now so she is getting his potty chair out so she can put it next to him when needed so he won't have to walk down the hallway and he is using a walker, too, now when he walks. She did say that if that number 800 goes down, things could be different tomorrow, but the blood clots still worry me. I don't know if they will put him back on the cumadin if that number goes down to a number closer to 200. He is still eating pretty good and his blood sugar was pretty good over the weekend.

Please continue to pray for Raney and for Jean. Jean is talking of calling in Hospice now. She wasn't going to unless Raney requested it, but she is afraid for him and can't stand the thought that she might do something to hurt him. We are so very thankful for Jean. We all know she would never do anything to hurt Raney in any way on purpose. So pray for her also because this is alot on her physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Love to all,
Ginger